The Senior Seminar class started reading Getting from College to Career by Lindsey Pollak (Harper, 2012). Here is some of the advice that seems helpful after reading the first few chapters.
- Don’t worry about money when looking for a job
- “Start wherever you are”….Regardless of where you are, remember that everyone starts somewhere, so don’t worry about being behind
- “Shine online!” …make sure there are not bad things and there ARE good things!
- “Embrace your stereotype”….that means that when people treat you as clueless or aimless, you can ask those people for advice—even if those people are being condescending or rude
- Study the field you want to get into. Read their journal & blogs.
- “It’s never too early or too late!”